Friday, August 6, 2010

Sebastian’s Song



Once I read the only love
that you can buy is that of a dog
I decided on a Maltese Poodle after much deliberation
on account of their size.

I thought this is a dog
I can tuck under my arm
and take everywhere I go
and so it was to be.

A Maltese Poodle, rather than the elegant Afghan
or the adorable Chinese dog
full of folds whose name I don't recall
both of them bigger.

The other reason I favoured
Maltese Poodles at the time
was the drastic,
different looks during the year:

During Winter, fluffy with its long hair
and in Summer a more vulnerable,
streamlined look after grooming.
Like having two different dogs!!

I remember out of all the puppies at the Pet Shop
I chose Sebastian
The only one with a brown
caramel spot at the back

that I would later learnt it is supposed to be a flaw
Perhaps he also chosed me
as he broked away from the group
to come towards me waving its tiny tail.

I went home that day with a companion
someone who greeted me on my arrivals
who was always glad to see me:
we became family.

He enjoyed my favourites outings
as much as I did
long strolls in the city's parks:
we became inseparable!!

When I think back there is much I wish I have done differently
if only I had known then what I know now.
We were both amateurs
and had to learn as we went along.

Nothing prepared me for
the void he left when he moved on
fifteen years later.

It broke my hear to learn recently that a few enterprising people
have concerns using dogs as lethal weapons
to maim and even kill
such an abuse of their trust on us.

It seems to me dogs must have made a commitment long ago
to trade their independence for our friendship
and became our partners in the city life,
but in so doing became much more dependant upon us, and much more vulnerable.

I saw so many, dogs loosing their lives in Germiston
some because they have become confidants and knew too much;
others left behind by owners in desperation to save their own lives
whatever the reason we have lost too many in recent years.

I remember watching them in the news trapped in empty
abandoned houses during the floods in New Orleans
and realized they are victims of our tragedies
that remain unnamed and unaccounted.

Many people care deeply for dogs
and appreciate them
it's a pity that the few that don't
should spoil it for the rest of us. 

Friday, August 6, 2010