Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Nora Rasenti on Military Issues





My name is Nora Rasenti, and getting here has been a long and winding journey; yet the need to take this stand could no longer be postponed.

There is a fight that we have all been pulled into, some of us with more deliberation than others. The outcome of this fight will certainly shape our future.

Our environment is in peril.

Our military have become veterans of these wars towards keeping our environments our own, protecting their integrity.

Some of us have seen our communities growing progressively smaller by the constant influx into military services, often deployed in faraway places, frequently disregarded.

Even though I may be a perfect stranger to many of you, some of you have been aware of my existence and contributions.

We generally hear of those that are born under-privileged and manage to break that mould into wealth and notoriety, and it is always inspiring.  My journey was different,  I was born with special blessings and the expectations were for me to be part of a wealthy and powerful elite, yet found myself deprived and impoverished, wronged for many years.

This is perhaps best portrayed by the containers of toys, most of them gifts from around the planet that I never got to see, let alone play with.

!y favorite game required five pebbles that I would through, up in the air and catch, while sitting in the sidewalk.  Little has the Macedonian army suspected the contribution they made in the neighborhood of my childhood, by sharing their game.

As an adult, I found myself loosing the financial stability I had fought so hard to secure, and joining the ranks of the homeless for many years. Yes, I was the author of the song "Homeless" that has become an anthem of the homeless community in many places.

Yet this struggle for a better world that I embraced in my youth has kept me focus, regardless of the hardships in my personal reality.  As a young girl I promised myself I would not have children until I had managed to make the world a better place for them... and yes, by the time I turned thirty I started to panic at the reality of my biological clock , ticking...

This long detour derailed not just my personal life and goals, but has had a measurable impact in structures and associates communities.  I was wronged but this was not a personal wrong, it was part of a greater evil that affected many communities around the planet.

The plight of the war veterans is certainly part of this problem.  Never in the history of our planet have the lived of people been treated with such indifference,. When it comes to military personnel, this attitude consolidates to tragic legitimacy.

Our people are appreciated and cherished, and are certainly not numbers on a board.

Some of my contributions as pertains military issues:

1)  I wrote the song titled 'War Song' that among other things highlights the detrimental effects of wars in the natural environments.

2)  I engaged in several civil society efforts towards avoidance of unnecessary military engagements, rather promoting the peaceful resolution of conflicts; and lobbied these principles @ the highest levels.

This is perhaps best portrayed by my involvement with an NGO (Non Governmental Organization) promoting interfaith dialogue.  Among other fundamentals, they stressed the number of wars in our planet that have been fuelled by religious disagreements, many of them caused by small technicalities, deviating from the issues of weight.

It has always shattered me that often; deeply religious people have been able to find ways to kill each other, for the love of God.

3)  I was part of civil society organized efforts towards redirecting arms expenditure.

We demonstrated in the streets, trying to encourage the outlays of money towards education and health.   Yes, I am sensitive towards security issues, but would rather endorse less traditional approaches to conflict.  I will develop this further in point 6) below. 

This was a different NGO, promoting peace from a nonreligious perspective.  They maintain that wars began killing our people in large numbers only during the XX century (before that time, the big killers were diseases and plagues).  This fact is certainly an endorsement towards the design of better weapons.  In this context, the following story can be of interest. 

It is alleged that abou a thousand years ago, a young man, a foreigner, connected with the Zulu nation.   Apparently he was taken aback by the awkwardness of their weapons of war.  He tried to influence the design of more efficient weapons - the spears were too long and too heavy, and their reach reflected this.  The shields were so big, they seriously compromised maneuvering.  As a result of this, the Zulu warriors would confront each other and uselessly throw their spears through the air in an angry waste of effort.  The young man was flabbergasted by this inefficiency.  As ti turned out in further enquiries, the inefficiency was a reflection of the Zulu nation's ethos as pacifists, and their reluctance to kill each other.

4)  I supported the 'Ban Landmines Campaign' whose success secured the peace activists a Nobel Prize.

5)  I contributed towards the design of missile guiding systems, that changed the weapons industry from bombs depending on ballistic principles towards greater sophistication and accuracy.   In my opinion a weapon friendly to both the natural and built environments, that is presently being incorporated into our space thrust. 

6) I have endorsed a less traditional approach to arms conflicts by including the considerable acumen of our scientific communities in the war efforts. This strategy has resulted in a drastic reduction in the use of military personnel, by tailor-making chemical and biological weapons that accomplish the desirable outcomes without damaging the environments.

The 'Scientific Military' is a new fundamental principle, and I am proud to claim it as my own.

And yet I was one of those people horrified at the notion of entire communities being left without vaccines so that they could be attached with diseases like Smallpox and Meassels.  That is certainly not the only use of these types of weapons - I am referring to the design of scientific weapons that take the idiosyncrasies of our enemies into account without damaging the natural environments.

As it is, there is an anecdote I would like to share in this regard.  Some years ago, while talking to some American military personnel, they conveyed their dismay at something that had happened to them during the war in Vietnam.  They had engaged in efforts to vaccinate the children in the communities they were coming in contact with.  While this was done as a positive contribution, they grew accustomed to the sight of the little amputated arms when visiting the areas a few days later.

I had come across this story in movies of that war, but it was the sadness and confusion of those relying it to me that touched my heart, and made me wonder.  

Actually, it would be a couple of years before I had the chance to get some answers in this matter. That happened when I had the good fortune of meeting someone that had become a symbol against war as a young girl.  I saw the photo of this person in the news, and it was that one photo, that stopped a war in progress in her area.  I never expected I would have the opportunity of meeting her years later, already an adult, when she first became an Ambassador of the United Nations.

During the conversation that followed, I asked whether there could be a chance for her to put my mind at ease about something that had happened during the war in Vietnam. She agreed to try, so I told her about the vaccination efforts, and the small amputated arms; and the confusion at a hate that could be so intense.

She smiled, and said "It was not hate". Apparently, the Vietnamese eventually realized the Americans were trying to facilitate medical care, but the vaccines were too strong for their undernourished children, and were killing them.  Of course, language barriers prevented a resolution at the time - I know people sprinted into action right then, and built some bridges of understanding. 

7) For many years, I have endorsed a policy of strategies that are people friendly, specially, friendly to our own military - strategies that avoid unnecessary loss of lives.  

8) I have discouraged and objected to the pledge of the lives of our military personnel as it pertains to sanctions and penalties.  Of course the difference between conviction and cohersion would be of relevance here; and it could be illustrated further as follows.

Some time ago I came across a very bad situation that made me realize how sometimes really good people can be put in the situation of doing things that would be better let un-done.

My connection to the story started when an acquaintance asked me to keep informed of her family's well being while she was out-of-town.  I must confess I had offered my help in this regard because the last time she had been out of town she struggled to locate her spouse on returning.

This ended up in a long process of checking with every acquaintance.  By the time she got to me it had been s couple of days of unhappy enquires.  I insisted that we check the Morgue and the hospitals, and there he was, badly hurt, in one of the emergency services.

She was so relieved to finally find him, and we agreed that next time she had to leave town, I would try to take notice of any problems.

That day, almost right away, I hear that the spouse was being detained and that there were ransom demands made to his family.  I further learnt that this was a regular occurrence, and also that the ransom demands were not for cash, but for nuclear explosions.

This person's life was being threatened, and I was frantically trying to get a message over to the spouse overseas, that she was required back home immediately.

At the time, I talked to everyone involved - unsuccessfully - there was nothing I could offer that they had an interest in.  They only wanted to negotiate with this one family, and required bombings, not money.

I was only too happy when the spouse returned and took charge of the situation.

And then I took some time to empathize with my acquaintance on account of the predicament that she and her family found themselves in.  When we took the opportunity to compare notes, I realized that the situation was certainly not of her own making: I had put effort in securing some kind of deal, and had been equally unsuccessful.  The people involved were uncooperative and unreasonable.

It would be quite some time, over as year later, before I was contacted in this regard once again - my acquaintance had been avoiding every out-of-town engagement.

I was reluctant to agree to watch over the family again, but eventually I gave in, but not before suggesting the last resort : getting the spouse to disappear should be considered in order to end this cycle of abuse.  She agreed to think about it at her return.

Once again, soon after her departure, an abduction.  I entrusted friends to monitor the husband's well-being, only to find them abducted alongside the original victim.

Being the second time around, the kidnappers were more receptive to my mediation and revealed their expectations - a bombing was required, the city of Shanghai in China was to be the target.

I managed t negotiate my friends out of the situation and agreed to try arranging someone to bonb, which would have liberated the original hostage.  Aware of the intended target I contacted members of the Chinese community right away, and suggested a media build-up towards avoiding the actual bombing.  I must confess I did not felt the deception was inappropriate, because after talking to the kidnapers, my impression was the bombing was just an excuse to motivate negotiations conducted elsewhere, that could have been served just as well with the impression of the bombings.

As it turned out, it was not.  It was only recently I learnt the target is one of the holiest places in China, and had to re-assess my original conviction.  But that day, we were all so hopeful we could get out of this insane situation without the loss of lives!

The bombing of the target was announced in the news, the hostage made it home, everyone celebrated...  Within 24 hours, the deception had been exposed, and someone arranged an actual bombing to take place, and yes, lives were lost.  It was a painful nightmare.

I engaged every contact I could think of in blocking further bombings.  I tried to explain to my acquaintance and her family, the reason they were being haunted was their capacity to arrange this bombings - with that off the table, their ordeal would be over.

My acquaintance’s husband disappeared about that time, and had not been seen since.

It would be some time before I got to meet and befriend the family of the spouse.  They had moved to South Africa from the United States for the purpose of finding their son.  They helped me through a very difficult time in my life, and this provided the opportunity for me to witness their painful journey.

Even though it was a couple of years before I share with them the suggestion to disappear that I had encouraged their son and in-laws to consider, they tried to understand  my perspectives in this matter, and were always pleasant and supportive.

At the time of the bombing, it was broadcasted the number of victims was 110 000 people.  Since then, I have learnt most of the victims resulted from an old temple that had been wired with explosives.  No wonder the *impression* of a bombing that I tried to sell to the kidnappers had not work, when the bombings were just meant as an excuse to cover the explosion!

It is alleged the bulk o the victims were between the ages of 4 to 12 years old.  An incident serious enough for a third world war?

9) I have always endorsed a policy of recovering our people when lost behind enem lines, mostly through the use of negotiating structures.

10) I was instrumental in bringing about some major changes regarding the deployment of troops some years ago.  It came to my attention that troops were being deployed in the African continent, where they were being left stranded, without access to facilities, food, ammunition or communication capabilities - most of them ending up dead.

As it happened, I received information by word of mouth that this was on going.  As I was trying to investigate the matter further, I came across an Expose in the newspapers.  I was hopeful that this would bring he matter to a conclusion, but a few months later, it re-surfaced.

I was tipped the situation was in progress, and this time, ti was followed by request for assistance from desperate parents -,this time, the troops consisted of conscripts (that means 18 year olds, just out of High School.)

Fortunately, the Expose had highlighted that many of the troops were being deployed by the United Nations.

I wrote a letter of the newspapers right away, and made copies for some friends at the United Nations.  Finally and fortunately, the matter was considered at the highest levels and put to rest.

It is not realistic to expect that the human community can sustain this constant bleeding of our most competent military personnel.  What can we do about it?

It is imperative to put in place better systems to control the throughput of military personnel.  It should be possible to monitor where our young people are being deployed, and in what circumstances.  Should *Human Resources* be the natural home for these activities?

We should not wait until the return of our young people to do a head-count, and to control and reverse a bad situation.

Our young people are counting on us to be mindful of their lives.  Their loved-ones are trusting us to care for them.

I do not understand a philosophy of using our committed troops carelessly.  Those prepared to put their lives on the line to protect our communities and our values should be appreciated and cherished.

We cannot afford to lose any more people,  and I wonder how to go about conveying the importance of developing a culture of cherishing life among stakeholders.  Military strategies that are people intensive are self-defeating.

At learning institutions, people should be encouraged to strategize with the aim of returning home with as many people as they had when departing.
There are regions in the planet devoid of men, this is a reflection of this malady, and I have to wonder how many of us would like to think of a future without our sons.

As an enthusiastic fan of the business and entrepreneurial communities, I have always admired those businesses that claim their most valuable asset is not their properties, or brands and products, it is not their methodologies or cash flows.  Their most valuable asset is their people, and I am sorry I cannot credit the quote right now, but have shared it frequently, and embrace it wholeheartedly.  Without our people there is no purpose.

I will never understand policies that required military personnel not to defend themselves.  As a matter of fact, I do not understand that philosophy in any circumstance.  Sure, some of us are pacifists and dislike violence as a means to resolve disputes - but saving your own life is also a way of preventing violence.

One of my favorite quotes, and it is my own, states that if an ideal is important enough for someone to be prepared to risk his life to uphold, it has to be important enough for the person to ensure he stays alive long enough to fight for it.  *Dead people make lousy rebels*.  Also one of the quotes I coined for the purpose of sharing with my young college students during my years as an educator.

I could not understand their young passion to be an asset to their people and communities seemed so frequently to hinge in their willingness to sacrifice their own lives to their ideals.

Some years ago something came to my attention that could help to illustrate the matter further.  Large numbers of people were being lured to stadiums, once seated; terrorists armed with automatic weapons would appear and shoot everyone dead.

Even when the victims were part of the security industry, the shock of the unlawfulness of the proceedings would paralyze everyone into inaction.

I was shacked by the stories and shared the information with law enforcers, hoping for a reprieve that did not come.  In every instance, people were being slaughter without effort.  Eventually, I got frustrated as someone was requesting assistance for one such attack in progress.

These cowardly attacks had been happening for such a long time, and we had all been powerless to discourage them.  I had gone as far as requesting advice from acquaintances overseas, after several years of wasted efforts.  Nothing seemed to work.

Finally a South American pointed out the dysfunction seemed to lie with the community as well, as they could not get the numbers to weight in their favor.

That day I quoted Gandhi, who stated that the only way a handful of English people could keep millions of members of the Indian community in check was with their help!

I told them I could not believe they were not defending themselves.  They pointed out they were unarmed, before the machine guns.  Once again I pointed out that the numbers were on their side - they outnumbered the attackers.  Finally they asked - *What would you do?*  I said, *I would get a pebble and throw it at them*.  *Yes, pebbles were good, but had to find in the stadium*.  I said, *A last resorts, just take-off your shoes, and use them as projectiles.*

By now, people were beginning to loosen-up and smile.  *If only I knew the time it takes some of them to put together the money for a pair of shoes...*  I pointed out they could collect them on the way out, still alive and breathing!  It was actually a turning point, and this type of slaughters at sports facilities and stadiums became rare.

Sometimes people need to hear that it is OK to defend themselves.  That is true, even when dealing with military personnel.

We are all exposed to chemicals, in our foods and even our environments, some of them affecting our capacity to react to crises or emergencies - this is a well documented fact.  I am certain the anecdote above subscribes to this.

Our military personnel is appreciated and cherished and should not be discouraged from defending themselves.  Our communities need them and are counting on them. 

NORA RASENTI (2017)