Friday, August 6, 2010

The Sunset Bossa Nova

Great sunset in Rosebank area
Before I came to South Africa
I had only seen the sunrise a couple of times

Sunsets were my thing

Throughout the summer I would rush to the beach
always at the same time to the same spot
To catch the amazing spectacle about to unfold
the sun hiding at the back of the water

The golden rim of the foam in every wave ...
until the sun finally reaches the water
The entire sea turning bright orange with its light
a stimulating feast to the eyes

Never quite the same always unique

Sometimes I couldn't deny myself the unplanned dive
aching to be one with the beauty of the moment
I would stretch my arms before me to observe
the bright impossible colour in my skin

Orange glittering bodies like creatures of a new race

Every day could be the same spot and yet
every day a different sunset

The clear sand is whiter than at any other hour
sometimes I would loose the struggle with myself
to keep my shoes free of sand and would burry my feet
in the unique warmth it has at this hour

The group of pine trees in one side
changes colour with the light
until finally turning black

Still making their presence felt their smell
blending with the salty air of the sea

While the rocks on the other side change shape and size
with a play of shifting shadows
and the cry of a seagull in the distance

Have you seen the rain in the sea at this hour
giving it all a new perspective

Every drop breaking the smooth surface
with a sense of purpose
and the promise of a rainbow just around the corner

Every day could be the same spot and yet
every day a different sunset

In South Africa I have missed
the sunsets by the sea but have reveled in the beauty
of the sunsets through the trees

The changing patterns of light
a magical work of art
made more special by the unique
shape and colour of every tree

Cold beauty of the sunset from a 31st floor
the entire city skyline traced in black charcoal
against the bittersweet beauty of the orange
in a thick layer of pollution

Cold beauty away from the plants and the trees
and away from the warmth of Earth just beneath our feet

Sometimes the night is in a hurry
and the dark blue clashes with the orange in the sky
Patches of early stars in the sections of blue
contrasting with the red like a modern, radical painting

Every day could be the same spot and yet
every day a different sunset

Friday, August 6, 2010